This office aims to conduct prompt and accurate legal research investigation for the Office of the Governor and of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan in carrying out the delivery of basic services and facilities as provided by section 17 of RA 7160.
Be in the front line in protecting human rights and prosecuting any violation thereof, particularly those in the aftermath of man-made or natural disasters and calamities.
- Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the Governor, implement the same particularly those which the Governor is empowered to provide under the Local Governance Code;
- Recommend measures to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan and advise the Governor on all matters related to upholding the rule of law;
- Represent the province in all civil actions and special proceedings wherein the province or any officer thereof, in his official capacity, is a party; Provided that, in actions or proceedings where component city or municipality, a special legal officer may be employed to represent the adverse party;
- When required by the Governor, draft ordinance, contracts, bonds, leases and other instruments, involving any interest of the province; and provide comments and recommendations on any instruments already drawn;
- Render his opinion in writing on any suggestion of law when requested to do so by the Governor or Sanggunian;
- Investigate or cause to be investigated any person, firm or corporation holding any franchise or exercising any public privilege for failure to comply with any term or condition in the grant of such franchise or privilege, and recommending appropriate action to the Governor or Sanggunian;
- When directed by the Governor or Sanggunian, initiate and prosecute in the interest of the province, any civil action on any bond, lease or other contract upon any breach or violation thereof; review and submit recommendations on ordinance approved and executive orders issued by component units; and
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
- Legal Research and Review for the Office of the Governor and Office of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan in support to the development of La Union as the Heart of Agri-Tourism.
- Investment Promotions
- Attendance to investment forums and seminars
- Investigate Administrative Cases
- Legal Assistance, Legal Research and Review
- Conduct of surveys of PGLU properties and other LGU properties
- Office Visitation
- Human Rights Action Center
Office Address: 1st Floor, Office of the Provincial Legal Officer, Provincial Capitol of La Union, Aguila Rd., Brgy. II, City of San Fernando 2500
Telephone: (072) 607-1628