Hon. Francisco C. Ortega, Jr.
Board Member, 1st District of La Union
I. Environment/Human Ecology and Energy
- Resolution approving and adopting the 10-Year Ecological Solid Waste Management Plan;
- Resolution in adopting the expansion of bamboo plantation, establish model bamboo village, bamboo product development & utilization & marketing and conduct of bamboo festival;
- Resolution Adopting the Watershed Development Program;
- Revisit the Provincial Environmental Code and review some of its provisions;
- Institutionalize the CURE the SEA (Children Understand and Respect the Environment) Program;
- Propagation and protection of marine sanctuaries;
- Promotion of Eco friendly agriculture support both agricultural production and biodiversity conservation, working in harmony together to improve the livelihoods of rural communities, i.e. backyard gardening, planting of medicinal and herbal plants as livelihood of rural communities and also to reduce hospital bills;
- Assess the impact of the provincial agricultural support program through provision of equipment, then decide to continue, enhance or modify or construct agricultural facilities for farmers; and
- Focus on developing renewable source of energy.
II. IP Concerns
- Advance the mandatory representation of the Indigenous Peoples in the Sangguniang Panlalawigan; and
- Propose legislation to recognize, strengthen and institutionalize IP tribal Olympics.
III. Youth and Sports
- Amendment of the sports incentive ordinance; and
- Revisit the Youth and Sports Development Program.
IV. Economic and Finance-Related
- Aggressive campaign for investment promotions but also to review the incentive ordinance if attractive enough to investors;
- Setting up of guidelines as basis for prioritization of allocation and appropriation of funds for development projects; and
- Maintain the good governance and financial balance for appropriate/proportionate distribution of financial resources.
V. Disaster Awareness
- To include in the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Plan activities and continuing program to educate children for disaster preparedness and awareness, making them realize that whatever they do with the environment when they’re young will affect their lives in the future.
- Establish a program for elderly through legislation making them a partner in development, harnessing their vast experiences in various fields such as in advisory bodies i.e. consultants, thereby making them a still useful partner of the government; and
- Establishing a youth program that will assist our senior citizens, specially those with special needs, i.e. meals on wheels.
VII. Advancement of the People With Disabilities (PWD) especially children
- Advancing the welfare the of PWDs through Special Olympics; and
- Support programs that are geared towards the development of the PWDs such as the procurement of assistive programs and devices.